The Office of Cannabis is working with existing cannabis businesses to authorize adult-use cannabis business activity, including sales, in 2018.

Medical Cannabis Dispensary (MCD)

Safe Consumption of Cannabis

All MCDs selling adult-use cannabis must give their customers a copy of Safe Consumption of Cannabis Products.

We are currently working with MCDs to authorize adult-use cannabis sales in 2018. If you operate an MCD and have not received an email from the Office of Cannabis asking for more information, email

Existing MCDs that receive authorization for adult-use sales will be required to comply with all of the requirements and prohibitions imposed on cannabis retailers under Article 16 of the Police Code (98 pages).

If your MCD business includes delivery, cultivation or any other cannabis activity, you were required to register that activity with the Office of Cannabis between September 26, 2017 and November 30, 2017. If you registered your activity, you will be required to get temporary permit(s) from the City and temporary state license(s) to continue each of these activities in 2018.

Registered cannabis businesses

All existing cultivators, distributors, manufacturers, testing laboratories and delivery services were required to register with the Office of Cannabis before November 30, 2017.

If you registered with the Office of Cannabis, to be eligible for a temporary permit in 2018 you must:


You can look up an address to check zoning for storefront retail on the San Francisco Green Zone map.

To check your zoning for all other cannabis businesses, download Land Use Noticing Requirements by Zoning (see PDF format).


The Office of Cannabis is scheduling inspections of cannabis businesses that registered their cannabis activity. Find out what inspections cover and their requirements.

Non conforming cannabis businesses

If you registered your business with the Office of Cannabis, but are not operating in a permanent location or are not yet conforming to local or state laws, you must stop all commercial activity. You will need to sign an affidavit confirming you will stop any commercial cannabis activity until you have relocated to a suitable location.

The Office of Cannabis will send out affidavits to businesses who registered, if they need to sign them. Once you receive and sign the affidavit, send the original to:
Office of Cannabis
San Francisco City Hall
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Pl, Rm 362
San Francisco, CA 94102

If you did not register as an existing business before November 30, 2017, you must apply for a permit as a new cannabis business.

New cannabis businesses

New businesses must:

  • be located in a space that conforms with local zoning regulations and state law
  • get a permit from the City of San Francisco
  • get a license from the State of California

In 2018 the Office of Cannabis will only be accepting applications for new cannabis activity from equity applicants and equity incubators.

The California Cannabis Portal has information on State of California cannabis business licensing.

The City does not and will not permit mobile cannabis dispensaries. If you see one, call 311 to report unlawful activity.

Permit and licensing fees

We’re still working out the fees for permits for cannabis businesses in San Francisco. California licensing fees are on the California Cannabis Portal.

Proposed cannabis retail locations

See locations for submitted Retail Cannabis Permits.