Community Outreach

You must reach out to your neighbors and get their feedback on your Good Neighbor Policy.

Later in the application process, you will need to meet with your neighbors about your cannabis business. It could be helpful to plan this outreach now.

See what your Good Neighbor Policy must include.

For Conditional Use Authorization, or Planning Code Section 311/312 Building Permit notification

If you are already doing outreach for Planning Department requirements, you can combine cannabis business outreach with it.

1. Set up at least 1 meeting for commercial and residential neighbors within at least 300 feet of your business

  • The meetings should take place at your business location, or within 1 mile of it. Office of Cannabis must approve another meeting location if you cannot fulfill this rule.
  • Weeknight meetings must take place between 6pm and 9pm Pacific time.
  • Weekend meetings must take place between 10am and 9pm Pacific time.
If you are subject to Planning Code Section 311 or 312 notification, this meeting can be a Planning Department facilitated pre-application meeting. This meeting would combine Planning requirements with cannabis business requirements.
  • The meeting would be located at 1650 Mission Street, Suite 400
  • The meeting must take place during regular business hours
  • You must get written approval from the Office of Cannabis to have the meeting at the Planning Department
  • See details in the Planning Department’s pre-application meeting packet

2. Write a notice to inform your neighbors about your meeting


  • Meeting dates, times, and location
  • Copy of your Good Neighbor Policy
  • Other ways your neighbors can give written input on your policy, if they cannot attend the meetings
  • Name, phone number, and email address of an onsite manager in charge of community relations. Neighbors will contact this person about the operation of your business
  • If you don't have an onsite manager yet, you can still do outreach. But before you can get your permit, you must assign a staff member to do community relations. You must send another notice to your neighbors with their contact information. You must also give the Office of Cannabis their information

You must translate your notice into Spanish, Chinese, and Filipino.

Save a copy of the notice. You will upload this to your permit application.

3. Send your notice to all commercial and residential neighbors within at least 300 feet of your business

Keep a list of names and addresses of the neighbors you sent your notice to. You will upload this to your permit application.

4. Keep meeting documents for your application

We will ask for sign-in sheets, minutes, information packets, and any written input your neighbors provided.

If you are applying for Conditional Use Authorization, you can use the outreach materials to prepare for the Planning Commission hearing. See details in the Conditional Use Application.